Then Sings My Soul
When Mom and I were living in Beaverdam, VA, we would often go to the community's 5th Sunday Gospel Sing. Choirs from all around northwestern Hanover County would gather to join in worship through song. Those churches were packed, but we didn't care. It was such a blessing to sing the hymns of the faith with my brothers and sisters in Christ. We laughed and we cried together through the music.
That was over ten years ago...
Fast forward to this weekend.
I've been battling the creeping crud of the fall season. Thankfully, I'm past the worst of the ordeal, but needless to say, it has not be a fun weekend. I had to cancel a gig in Pennsylvania yesterday that I was hoping to attend, and I barely made it to St. John's this morning.
My heart was hurting, and I just wasn't feeling like myself.
Before the sickness had set in, my dear friend and mentor Karen Keating had invited me come to a Community Gospel Sing in Berryville, VA, which was to be held tonight at Berryville Baptist Church. Initially, I was planning to sing tenor with her choir, but my voice left me. So... I simply went to listen and worship through song.
Folks, I can't begin to tell you how much joy I felt hearing those songs from the area choirs tonight. It had so long since I had been able to experience God's people coming together as one to join in song. It was truly a spiritually moving experience.
At the end of the evening, the choirs joined together on stage to lead the congregation in the singing of "How Great Thou Art."
Now, let me tell you something. This song is my all-time favorite hymn - without question. I wasn't going to let some fall sickness get in the way of offering praise and adoration to my Lord. I don't know where it came from, but somehow I had the strength to sing that song with full gusto.
"Then sings my soul, my Saviour God to Thee. How great Thou art, How great Thou art!"
I've sung that song dozens of times, but tonight seemed very special for some reason. Maybe it's because I realized how great a gift singing really is. You don't really know how much you miss it until it's gone. On that same token, if I were never able to sing another note, I would not feel that my work has been in vain. It is my hope that someone's life has been impacted for the better through my sharing of music.
We do serve a great God, and I am thankful tonight that He allowed this old boy to raise his voice to the heavens through song. For what had been a crummy weekend turned into one of life's greatest blessings.
Tonight, I got to sing the songs that make me who I am. Tonight, I got to commune with the Almighty Himself.... and I don't think I'm the only one who came away feeling as though something wonderful took place.
Comments
Post a Comment