Listen...

Listen...

The other night, I was talking about listening for the still, small voice of God. Tonight, I want us to think about how we can ourselves can be better listeners.
It's no real secret that I have the gift of gab. Whether it's because of nervousness (yes, I get nervous around some folks) or an insatiable desire to say something, sometimes I just talk and talk. It's something that I have to work at on a daily basis.
Several years ago, I prayed a simple prayer that went something like this, "Lord, you know my heart and the things hidden deep inside. I ask you now to help me be a better listener. Help me to listen to what others are trying to say."
If you don't believe it already, believe it now. God does answer prayer. One of the greatest blessings in my life is getting to hear the stories shared by so many of my dear friends. I'm honored that many of you come to talk with me about what's affecting you in your life... some of it's pretty, and some of it's downright ugly... but you take the time to share those things with me. I am truly gratified and blessed for that. 
Listening is not the easiest task in the world. I'm always having to squelch my responses so that I can truly listen and understand what someone is trying to express. Like many guys, I like to fix things... I see a problem, and the first thing that I want to do is fix it. Sometimes, however, people don't want their problems fixed by you. They simply want someone - you - to truly listen to what they have to say.
Sometimes, I feel that I'm not doing enough... in fact, it breaks my heart to hear some stories and know that I cannot do anything except listen and pray. But you know something... Mom reminded me the other day that those two actions are some of the most important things that you can offer someone. 
It's a tragedy, folks. So many people have things that need to be said, yet there is no one to listen. No one! 
Look around you, beloved. Every one of your neighbors has a story to share. That story, however, cannot be shared unless something is there listening. 
Many of us have the physical ability to hear. It takes a intentional effort, however, to listen and understand what is being said. 
Let's stop offering quick responses and simply take a few moments to listen. Perhaps by listening we will not only better understand others, but perhaps... just perhaps... through listening, we'll better understand ourselves.
Thank you, Father, for the gift of listening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Your Eyes on the Road

Sing Me a Song

Then Sings My Soul