As Wise as the Company You Keep
"You're only as wise as the company you keep."
Last night, I had the privilege of performing at Edenwald Retirement Community in Towson, MD. This was my fifth performance there, and I was truly happy to be back again.
As is customary, I remained after the show to shake hands and speak with the attendees. I heard comments like, "I wouldn't have missed this for the world" and "Your music has brought back so many memories."
The highest compliment I could receive came from a lady who has attended most of my performances at Edenwald.
She came up to me and said, "Jay, the arrangements of your selections were superb... just wonderful. The patter in between your songs just fit perfectly." Then she said something that I won't soon forget. "And you know, Jay, I think you gave us a couple pearls of wisdom to think about. Thank you ever so much."
I then replied to her, "I'm only as wise as the company that I keep!"
Here I was at age 29 being told by someone 50 or more years older than me that I imparted a bit of wisdom to them. That is a truly humbling thought, and I still don't understand why God chose me to be that vessel of communication.
But ya know, folks, there is some truth in that statement. The persons that we hang around do indeed influence our way of living. Given time, we may even begin to act and think as they do. Personalities can be contagious. It's up to us to decide whose company we keep in our lives.
There are a small number of people that I consider close friends. These are those people that I think of as confidants... those who listen but also offer reason and edification for life's questions. I am only as wise as the company I keep; and I'd like to think that I have pretty good company!
Tonight, let us be thankful for those people who continue to make an impact upon us through their words and actions. May we do good by them and set a worthy example.
Comments
Post a Comment