Let's Face the Music and Dance
It was such a joy to be back with the residents of Luther Crest in Allentown, PA, last night. Whether through their laughter or joining in singing, they always have a way of making me smile. In fact, I was greatly honored when one of the residents said, "Jay has quickly become a regular performer here at Luther Crest." It's only because of their continued patronage and appreciation that I can continue to perform in the Queen City of Allentown, PA.
Before my show, a couple came up to me with a special request. "Jay," the husband said, "do you have a waltz in your set? My wife and I would like to dance tonight." Incidentally, being a "Stage and Screen" program, I did have one waltz in the program - Mancini and Mercer's "Moon River." At about 7:20, I began to play the opening strains of that familiar melody from "Breakfast at Tiffany's." Sure enough, the married couple made their way to the dance floor between the stage and audience. There in the spotlight they waltzed as the melody played on. As I watched, I could tell that this was not their first time dancing together, and yet, they seemed so focused on each other. It was truly a sentimental moment to behold.
That image reminded me of another familiar scene from several years ago. It was first performance with the Royal Virginians at a cocktail party in Williamsburg, VA. As I stood before the mic, I could see a number of couples - young and old - dancing to those familiar standards. Every performance that I had with the Royal Virginians, I would see this same scene over and over. I said to myself, "I want to be like those dancers. I want to dance, too."
Some time later, I would go on to take private dance lessons before attending a big band dance with a dear friend of mine. She and I danced to every number that night, and I didn't want the evening to end. It's been over two years since I last danced to that music, but what a feeling it was. For just a moment, I was able to forget about the cares of that day and the week before. In that moment, I was able to just let the music guide me along. If there were one word that I could use to describe how I felt, it would be this - free. Oh, how I hope to feel free once again.
Before my show, a couple came up to me with a special request. "Jay," the husband said, "do you have a waltz in your set? My wife and I would like to dance tonight." Incidentally, being a "Stage and Screen" program, I did have one waltz in the program - Mancini and Mercer's "Moon River." At about 7:20, I began to play the opening strains of that familiar melody from "Breakfast at Tiffany's." Sure enough, the married couple made their way to the dance floor between the stage and audience. There in the spotlight they waltzed as the melody played on. As I watched, I could tell that this was not their first time dancing together, and yet, they seemed so focused on each other. It was truly a sentimental moment to behold.
That image reminded me of another familiar scene from several years ago. It was first performance with the Royal Virginians at a cocktail party in Williamsburg, VA. As I stood before the mic, I could see a number of couples - young and old - dancing to those familiar standards. Every performance that I had with the Royal Virginians, I would see this same scene over and over. I said to myself, "I want to be like those dancers. I want to dance, too."
Some time later, I would go on to take private dance lessons before attending a big band dance with a dear friend of mine. She and I danced to every number that night, and I didn't want the evening to end. It's been over two years since I last danced to that music, but what a feeling it was. For just a moment, I was able to forget about the cares of that day and the week before. In that moment, I was able to just let the music guide me along. If there were one word that I could use to describe how I felt, it would be this - free. Oh, how I hope to feel free once again.
Comments
Post a Comment