Little Is Much
Do you often feel that your work is in vain? Do you feel that no difference is being made because of your efforts? Perhaps it is all in how we view "success."
It was 2007. The first time I was out on my own. I was living a couple of hours away from my hometown and was beginning the first of many exciting chapters in life. After settling at my new home and new job, I decided to go looking for a home church. I soon settled on a church not far from my home. It was mainly the pipe organ and traditional church music that led me to join. I will say that my criteria for church attendance has changed a bit since then!
Not long after joining, I found myself attending a business meeting after the evening service. One of the discussion topics concerned the 8:30AM "early" service on Sundays. This was an identical, blended service to the 11:00AM meeting; it was just held at an earlier time for those unable to come at 11. The question was raised, "Should we continue holding this early service?"
The responses surprised me a bit... even at the young age of 18. I heard people respond like this... "Do you know how much extra time is involved in making this service happen?" "Do you realize the extra funding needed to support this?" "Only a few people bother to attend the early service. Is it even worth it?" Friends, these were not spiritually motivated responses. These were self-serving, short-sighted responses.
Nowadays, I'm very vocal in my responses to differing views. At this time in my life, however, I kept my mouth shut... mainly because the leadership saw me as just a kid. Really, they did. As I heard this discussion continue, however, I couldn't help but think of my own reasons for continuing the service. Sure, a few folks may have to arrive at church earlier to prepare for service. Yes, the church may have to pay its staff an additional fee for leading an early meeting. Maybe there are just a few who actually come to the early service. In light of all this, however, should we not remember that maybe that service is a lifeline to someone's spiritual journey. Maybe it's because of that service that someone came to saving knowledge through faith in Christ. Maybe that service really is important, after all.
As it turns out, that church must have canceled the early service shortly after the meeting. I was not privy to those details because I left that congregation shortly after the meeting.
Dear friends, you may view your efforts as fruitless and unvaluable. You may feel that all of the time spent on your work is in vain. Why do we feel this way? Quite possibly, it's because we're not seeing the returns. But you know something, beloved? God can use our most meager efforts and make them into a blessing for someone else. I'm reminded of these words written by Kittie Suffield. Take them to heart as you go forth this week.
Little is much when God is in it.
Labor not for wealth or fame.
There's a crown, and you can win it.
If you will go in Jesus' name.
Comments
Post a Comment