The Gift of Music

Last night, I had a most wonderful conversation about how many of our musical memories revolve around particular experiences. Think about it for a moment. You can generally remember where you were when you heard a certain song... a song that has remained with you for many years. Maybe that's what most modern pop songs are lacking - a connection and a heartfelt message.
Tonight at Luther Crest in Allentown, I shared this idea of musical listening as a genuine "experience," rather than something happening in the background. What makes certain songs more special than others? The answer is probably different for each of us. 

Let me share one such story with you.
Tonight's program at Luther Crest centered around songs written by Jerome Kern - "All the Things You Are," "They Didn't Believe Me," "The Way You Look Tonight," and "A Fine Romance." But it was the closingsong that brought about a great story. 
At the end of the program, I performed the 1927 hit from Showboat, "Ol' Man River." When I was done, a resident named Marian came up to me and said, "You talked about our first memories of hearing music. I don't know when it was, but when I was very young, my mom would always play the song 'Ol' Man River.' And every time that song was over, I would ask her to play it again. Honestly, Jay, I don't know what was so special about that song. Yet, every time I hear that song, I think about those many times of listening to with my mother.'"
I'll never stop trying to figure out what makes some songs more memorable than others. Sometimes, we may never the reason. But, with every show that I play, I learn more and more that music has an emotional effect that no other device can duplicate. 
This weekend, take just a moment to listen to those songs that you love and remember. Think about the memories and the experiences that surround those compositions. Remember and reflect upon your life's most precious moments in song.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Your Eyes on the Road

Sing Me a Song

Then Sings My Soul