A Greater Perspective on Life

As we go through life, we run across so many people who ask, "What can you do for me?" Yet, we're often blessed to find those who ask "What can I do for you?" You know these people. They are the selfless givers - the ones who invest the time in others and often without thanks.
Earlier today in class, we discussed the effects of homelessness on students in school. I couldn't help but think of the work that dear friends like Susan Richardson and others are doing at the Valley Mission in Staunton, VA. They give without want for recognition or glorification. Each day, they look after dozens of men, women, and children living under their roof on W. Beverley Street. 
I still remember visiting the Mission for the first time a few years ago. I had never been to a "shelter" before and was astonished to see multiple families living under its roof. Yet, the children were especially happy and making the best out of a difficult situation. 
We often have a mental picture of those who are homeless... That picture doesn't often include families. We fail to recognize that there are many whose lives were moving along normally when the bottom suddenly fell out. 
I am so thankful for Susan and her team at the Valley Mission. It's because of seeing their work that I gained a better understanding of the hardships faced by many in our region. It made me realize how fragile our lives can be. Most importantly, it allowed me to understand that even with just a little, you can make a lot out of life.
If you have time, stop by your local shelter. Visit and talk with the residents. It will give you a greater perspective on life itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Your Eyes on the Road

Sing Me a Song

Then Sings My Soul