Behold, I Make All Things New
"And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful."
-Revelation 21:5
St. John wrote those words in Revelation during his exile on the Isle of Patmos. The One upon the throne, of course, is God. It is an awe-inspiring thing to consider all of the intricacies within God's plan. So many stories have yet to unfold. What does the future look like for each of us?
Yesterday was our first Sunday in a transition period at St. John's Episcopal in Waynesboro. You see, our beloved Father Kim accepted the call at St. Matthew's in Charleston, WV. His last Sunday at St. John's was New Year's Day.
I remember when Kim first told me the news on the phone. He said, "There's going to have be some soul searching. People are going to have to ask themselves why they attend St. John's. Are they attending because of Father Kim, or are they attending because that is their home for worship?" I had to ask myself that very same question, yet it didn't take long to find my answer.
I can't begin to describe how my faith has deepened through my association with St. John's and the Episcopal Church as a whole. It is not so much that I did not have a genuine relationship with Christ; it's that I did not fully understand where that faith stemmed from. I did not fully recognize what authentic worship meant. Now, I have a clearer (not a full) understanding of what that looks like. I have learned that God often moves in ways we cannot see or understand. I have learned to listen to God in the silence of life.
But now the journey continues... for me and others at St. John's. Over the next several weeks, we will be served by what are called supply priests. After that, we will be provided an interim priest who will serve us until we elect a permanent priest. The process could take some time. But God is faithful, and we will wait on the right man or woman that He provides.
I'm eager to learn more about the different worship settings within the Episcopal Church. As you may know, different priests present things differently... from the order of service to communion, etc. For me, it offers a well-rounded view of the different traditions that make up our faith experience. I pray that it is through these experiences that we would learn to appreciate the rich history that our church has. In that, I pray that our faith would be strengthened and enriched through the breaking of bread and the prayers.
Thank you for your continued prayers for us during this time. We are thankful for where God will be taking us.
"Behold, I make all things new."
(photo courtesy of Church of the Holy Communion, Charleston, SC)

Comments
Post a Comment