The Gift of Family
In my earlier posts, I talked about people who want to be a positive influence in this world. As we move into February, I'm going to try and highlight at least one person in my Closing Thoughts each night. This person may be a close friend or just someone who has made an impact on my life. While you read these thoughts, think about someone who has come across your path. Who has made a difference in your life?
It was Thanksgiving 2015. I was on my back home to Stuarts Draft from a performance in Washington. While most families were enjoying dinner at home, I decided to make a stop at the Arby's in the Love's Travel Stop near Toms Brook, VA.
Working the evening shift that night was Elaina. Every bit of 4'11", she is the cheerful lady that greets you at the counter. Full of joy, she brings smiles to everyone around her, myself included. After I ordered, I asked her, "I hope that you were able to spend some time with your family today, Elaina." She replied with a smile, "Oh, no. My husband died several years ago. All of my family is back in the Philippines." Elaina then motioned toward the kitchen, "This... This, Jay, is my family. I get to spend my Thanksgiving with them."
Tonight, I decided to drive the 20 minutes down I-81 for dinner at the Arby's at Tom's Brook. Sure enough, there was Elaina working at the front counter. It had been well over a year since I last saw her; yet, she immediately waved at me when she saw me in line. It's amazing how some people remember you... even after only one or two visits.
As I left Arby's, I bid Elaina goodbye. She made sure to wish me the very best and gave me a hug.
There are people who you can't easily forget. I am thankful for those like Elaina who bring a great deal of happiness to the people around them. She also taught me a very important lesson back in 2015. Family doesn't always have to be blood related.
Comments
Post a Comment