May I Share My Faith?

For many of us, our faith is the cornerstone of our values system. Many of our decisions are based on our faith background. It helps to guide us through this journey that we call life. When is it appropriate to speak out on our faith? Are there times that we should keep quiet? Some may have different answers. Let me share the opinions of one that I spoke with earlier this week.

It was during a class at Shenandoah University that I heard one of my teachers say these words. "To each of you, this is my own opinion and belief. When we study the formation of new life, I believe that it is the hand of God at work. There is no other way that I can describe it."

Initially I was a bit surprised to hear those words - even here at a Methodist-backed university. Yet, I soon realized how blessed I was to be able to hear someone share their faith through their work. After class, I made the effort to thank that teacher for sharing her faith with each of us. I told her that people often shy away from sharing their faith because of the possibly negative backlash. Her response got me thinking. She said, "Jay, I can't compartmentalize my faith. I can't just leave it at the door when I come to teach. It's a part of who I am."

Think about those words for a moment.

God has given us so much. He has blessed us with the ability to discuss and share our thoughts and ideas with others. I'm often reminded of this passage from the Old Testament, "All things come of Thee, O Lord, and of Thine own have we given Thee." He loves us so much. Even when we fail Him, He loves us still. How then will show our gratitude for His many blessings? Will we share our faith with others? Or will we keep silent because we would not want to offend?

Beloved, when we openly share our faith, it's not just about "what" we say. It's also about "how" we say it. Our words have weight. When we speak of things like our faith, let us be mindful that others may not entirely share in our view. Let us approach those conversations with a listening ear and a loving heart. Most importantly, however, don't be afraid to speak of your faith. It's an integral part of who you are, and who God has made you to be. Don't ever shy away from sharing that with others. Perhaps the sharing of your story will help to inspire another to share theirs.

Tonight, I'm thankful for those who inspire me through the sharing of their own faith journey.

Thanks be to God.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Your Eyes on the Road

Sing Me a Song

Then Sings My Soul