Heavenly Lite Rolls
I thought about my Grandma Seay in Musicking I today. We were talking about following recipes. Even when multiple people are given the same recipe, there will be a number of different results. Besides, some people would rather use a "dash" of this and a "dab" of that, as opposed to following the recipe.
There are some people who were born to cook. My Grandma, Katherine Seay, was one of those people. I still believe that if she hadn't had 11 children to raise, she could've very well run a restaurant.
One of her specialties was what she called "Heavenly Lite Rolls." I firmly believe that they came down from Heaven! People from near and far had sampled these rolls and kept coming back for dozens more.
I remember one of the times that Grandma Seay had to make several dozens of rolls for a special event at the Louisa Moose Lodge; I think it was happening on a Friday night.
The night before the event, she said, "Now, Jay, I've got to get up around midnight to start making these rolls. So, don't worry if you see the kitchen light on."
Sure enough at midnight, that kitchen light would come on. She'd get all of the necessary ingredients ready to bring those Heavenly Lite Rolls to life. I think that getting the dough to rise was the biggest challenge.
I'd eventually fall asleep again, but before long, I would awaken to the heavenly aroma of those rolls. I stumbled out of the bedroom and went into the kitchen to find dozens of Heavenly Lite Rolls just waiting to be packaged.
Yet, there at the very end of the table was a special batch of rolls just for me. She always remembered to take care of her grandson Jay. In the midst of all that hard work, she took time to think of me.
As I write this post, I can still remember the smell of those Heavenly Lite Rolls. Over the years, I'd witness her bake dozens upon dozens of rolls, along with her special recipes of stuffing cakes and fried chicken.
Funny thing with those Heavenly Lite Rolls, she did pass along the exact recipe to some of my family members. Even following it to the "T," no one can make those rolls like Grandma Seay did. You might say that she had the heavenly touch!
Tonight, I'm thankful for those wonderful memories with Grandma Seay. We had a lot of great times together, and I was glad to remember some of those during class today.
Thanks, Marsha B. Barley, for helping me remember.
(The photo below is from the day of my baptism in March 1996.)

Comments
Post a Comment