Life-Changing

Earlier tonight, I was speaking with one of my friends about getting to work with senior citizens. She used this adjective to describe her own work with these special people. 
She called it "life-changing."
I, myself, have had the honor of privilege of performing at several dozen retirement communities for the past few years. It's easy to look at it as a way of making a living. It's easy to look at it as a means of advancing ones career. 
But ya know... there's a great reward in musically working with senior citizens. 
Whenever I perform before an audience, I always look for their reactions to the music. It is awe-inspiring to look out and see the smiles, the laughs, and the tears that are vividly shown on the faces of the people. Behind each of those expressions are memories, stories, and a host of emotions. 
The seniors often tell me how much my music is a blessing to them. Oh, but do they realize how much of a blessing their presence is to this performer?
Veteran's Day is this Saturday. Tomorrow and Saturday are my two busiest days out of the entire year. I have a lot of traveling ahead of me, but I feel it's a small sacrifice for the many blessings that lie ahead. 
I am honored to be able to bring my music to those who have served in our nation's military. What a privilege to hear the stories of those that served as well as the spouses of those servicemen and women that have since passed on. And what an even greater privilege to be able to honor these brave men and women through a musical tribute. 
Remember those expressions that I mentioned earlier? My heart is warmed when I see those soldiers... ones that can barely walk or stand on their own... stand at attention when they hear their branch of the military called. These people truly do make up "The Greatest Generation." 
Getting to work alongside senior citizens is truly life-changing work. Let me say this to you here and now. I don't think that I will ever, ever give up my work in this field. These men and women have blessed my life in ways that I can't begin to describe here. The very least I can do is to continue serving them through my music.
This Veteran's Day weekend... take a moment to express your appreciation to a vet. Whether young or old, they have given a great deal in their lives so that we may live as a free people. Take a moment to listen to their stories. After all, what good is a story if there is no one to listen to it?
Tonight, I am thankful that I am continually able to bless others with the gift of music. I am thankful that my life has been changed for the better through my work with senior citizens. Thanks be to God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Your Eyes on the Road

Sing Me a Song

Then Sings My Soul