"All mentors are educators, but not all educators are mentors."

It has been one heck of a fall semester at Shenandoah University. Here we are just one week away from being out for Christmas Break. Truly, it is hard to believe. One thing that I thankful for are those special people who serve as mentors. These are the people who freely share their knowledge in the hopes that it can better their pupils. 
Typically, I show my appreciation through more private means. In this case, however, I feel that these two people need to be recognized for what they have done to make an impact on the lives of many at Shenandoah Conservatory. 
I want to take a few moments to personally thank two teaching assistants in the voice division of Shenandoah - Colin Johnson and Martina Bingham. I've known both of them for a little while, but this semester I've had the great honor and pleasure of working with their voice students - both in private and class lessons. 
Let me say this about Colin and Martina. They are hard workers and have come so far in their collegiate career. As I understand, both are working toward their doctorate. Not only do they spend endless hours working on their own assignments, but they also spend just as much time sharing their knowledge with a number of students.
The greatest blessing that I have witnessed is the blossoming of their students - vocalists and instrumentalists who sing. While each of the students came to Shenandoah with different skillsets, Colin and Martina have worked extensively with each student to enable them to do their best. It is truly a magical moment to see musical technique and expression come together. Yes, the students did help make that happen by practicing and working hard, but thanks must also go to the mentors who showed them the right direction.
I have had so many wonderful opportunities during my time at Shenandoah, and I hope to share more of them with you here. In my opinion, however, the greatest opportunity that I have had is being able to work alongside these two mentors and these students. For me to be a small part of this exciting journey is an honor in and of itself.
Martina heads home to Hawaii, while Colin continues in his doctoral studies. Both of them have much work in the months to come. They will need your support and prayers. I know that they would appreciate it.
I say all of that to say this.
It is not simply enough to let your appreciation be "understood." It means the world when you invest the time to personally express your appreciation to someone. People get bogged down and discouraged, and it's such a joy to know that someone is thankful for your work.
Tonight, take a moment and let someone know you appreciate them. 
To my dear friends Colin and Martina, may God be with you in the weeks to come. May you be able to trust in His guidance as you continue down this educational path. During the days of stress, may you look back and remember all of the people that you've impacted through your work. Through all of this, may the future be a bright one. I am indebted to both of you for the opportunity to share my love of music with others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Your Eyes on the Road

Sing Me a Song

Then Sings My Soul