Everyday People
You know, it's been a while since I took the time to write an in-depth edition of "Closing Thoughts." To be honest, it's been a busy month. Not as busy as last year, thank God, but busy enough. I ask your prayers as I continue driving up and down 81 this week. 'Tis the season to be merry, I suppose!
Winchester could be considered a culturally diverse town. It sits just west of the Washington, D.C. metro area, which is home to a number of "people groups." In my view, people are just people... regardless of where they come from. When we bleed, our blood is the same color. Yet, there are barriers that still separate many of us.
You see, my neighborhood is home to many Latin American immigrants. They're good, hard-working people that contribute a great deal to the community. They're families - mom, dad, and children. They understand the importance of togetherness and community. They set the example for a close-knit community. Yet, one thing separates them from many of their Winchester neighbors; they do not speak English.
Anyone that knows me know that I am a people person. I love people. That's why you'll see me wave and say hello to complete strangers during my walks around town. I try to see the inner good that most people hold. Upon moving to Winchester, I have tried my best to be a good community member and help those around me.
Yet, I was reminded of my limitations a few months ago.
He lives just down the street near Daniel Morgan School. Most days, you can see him briskly walking down Chestnut Avenue with several bags of groceries in his hands. I don't know him, and I don't know his family. But he seems to be a hard working father doing everything he can to support his family. He apparently doesn't have a car and has to walk everywhere around town. Yet, the long walks in the hot and cold seasons don't seem to phase him.
One day, I was walking down to my car when I saw him coming down Chestnut from Berryville Avenue. Sure enough, he was toting groceries home to the family. As he approached my house, I said hello to him. Then I proceeded to ask him if he could use a ride. I quickly realized the gentleman did not speak any English. He couldn't understand what I was saying. Even when I motioned to my car and gestured to offer a ride, he was simply confused. In frustration, I simply sighed and bid him a good day.
It's frustrating when you want to help someone, but your situation limits what you can do. You see, I took four years of Spanish in high school. They were good years. I could write Spanish very nicely in correspondence. Yet, even with the expert teaching of Chris Hawks, I soon forgot that second language. Why? Because I never had an opportunity to use it. In fact, back then, I didn't quite recognize the importance of understanding Spanish. Now, here I am trying to find the words to say, and nothing comes to mind.
It's frustrating. Really, it is. Yet, I hope in the coming months, I can find ways to better connect with these neighbors. I guess that they feel just as disconnected from most of Winchester, as I do them. That's all most people want in life... to be included... to feel a part of something. Yet, most of us are not willing to take the time to do what we can to form bonds and relationships with those who may be a little different from us.
Here's the call to action for each of us. This Christmas season, take a few moments to seek out those who may be different from you. Those who come from different backgrounds; those who feel isolated from the rest of the world. Take a few moments. Get to know them for who they are. You might just learn something. Don't go in with an agenda. Simply take the time and talk with them. I think both of you will better off from the conversation.
What am I going to do? I'm going to brush up on some Spanish. And then I'm going to get to know my neighbors. And finally... I'm gonna get to know that fellow who walks home every day with groceries in hand for his family.
Merry Christmas, friends.
Comments
Post a Comment