See You Soon, Big Guy
We've all had people in our lives that challenged us to do better... to do more... to achieve things we never thought possible. Two of those people that inspired many of us were Roby and Roberta Wagner.
You know, I still think about both of them from time to time, even though it's been 15 years since I last saw Mr. Wagner. But today... a dear friend of mine said something that brought back a flurry of memories...
My buddy Mark Purdy shook my hand after class and said, "See you later, Big Guy." Mr. Wagner used to always call me that when I was a kid in elementary school. In fact, our school was a combined K-12 facility out in the countryside of Bumpass, VA. Mr. Wagner served as principal; his wife, Roberta, was the K-5 teacher.
My most vivid memory of Roby Wagner was actually toward the end of my first grade year in 1995 with my teacher, Mrs. Sue Riley. We had all just come back from a sneak peek of the second grade classroom with Mrs. Byers and Mrs. Kersey. We were all so excited as to how well we did that we just became uncontrollable. Mrs. Riley said... "I'll be right back."
A few minutes later, in walked Mrs. Riley with Mr. Wagner. Mr. Wagner brought along a friend of his named Sam. Now, Sam was a quiet fellow. But he could get your attention without much effort. You see... Sam was a spanking paddle - his name was written on the front! We were told to put our heads down and close our eyes. We then heard several loud smacks of the paddle against Mr. Wagner's hands... Each of us trembled. We were warned that that would be our punishment, should we act up again.
Now, some folks might think that's a bit extreme. But for us... we learned our lesson that day. In fact, Mr. and Mrs. Wagner taught us many more lessons over the years. I'll try to share some of those stories sometime. The point is... I honestly think that they were strict as they were because they truly cared for our future. They wanted what was best for us. Some people didn't understand them or their actions. Even at that early age, I did understand their intentions, and I did what I could in doing my part.
At that young age, I never really had deep, philosophical chats with either Mr. or Mrs. Wagner. In retrospect, I wish I had.
In 2000, Mrs. Wagner died after a battle with cancer. Just after her passing, Mom, Dad, and I went to visit Mr. Wagner during tax season (he was also a CPA). He really did miss Roberta; they had been married for many, many years. But during the conversation, he had remarked at how proud he was of my achievements. I still remember his smile and speaking tone whenever he and I would chat. We had great respect for each other; that never changed.
In 2001, Mr. Wagner was found unconscious by his lawnmower at his Bumpass farmhouse. He did not suffer, and I do believe he went home to be with Roberta. Those two made each other so happy.
There are so many things I wish I could ask Mr. and Mrs. Wagner about my teaching career. I have so many questions about their techniques, their decisions, but most importantly... what did they do when the going got rought?
But I suppose that right now they would just want me to remember some of the things they taught me as a kid in the countryside of Bumpass, VA. Respect others... dress nicely... and always do your best.
"See you soon, Big Guy."
Who has inspired you in your life? I'd love to hear your story. Share it in the comments section.
Comments
Post a Comment