What a Friend
It was sometime around late 2005 or early 2006. I was working my first job at the Virginia Center Ukrop's in Glen Allen, VA. By this point, I was cashier on the front end of the store.
It had been a fairly quiet afternoon when it came time for my 15-minute break. After making a salad at the bar, I went to the upstairs break room in the rear of the building.
As I finished my ascent up the stairs, I heard a voice singing a familiar melody. It was my friend Constance. She stopped for a moment, but I asked her to please continue singing that wonderful music. (She now shares her talent with a church praise team near her home in Dallas.)
The words she was singing still resonate with me today. Perhaps, this weekend, we could all be reminded of these words written by Joseph Scriven.
"What a friend we have in Jesus
All our sins and griefs to bear.
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer.
All our sins and griefs to bear.
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer.
Oh, what peace we often forfeit!
Oh, what needless pain we bear!
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer."
Oh, what needless pain we bear!
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer."
Thank you, Constance, for that gentle reminder during some great years at Ukrop's.
Comments
Post a Comment