Help Me to Help My Neighbor
I watch the news... I scroll through my Facebook feed... I hear the conversations of many on the streets.
Our nation is more divided than ever. Folks are pointing fingers at each other. Their words spew feelings of hate not compassion. Their actions speak volumes to the condition of their heart.
Frankly, I have grown tired of these childish actions. I'd rather flip an off-switch and make it all go away.
Christians and all peoples alike... we are called to love our neighbors. All of our neighbors. Not one can change the entire world, but one person at a time can make a difference in their corner of the world.
Think about what you say... what you post... and most of all... think about what you want your life to stand for.
I share with you now these words from a little-known Irving Berlin composition, as performed here by Frank Sinatra on a radio broadcast from the 1940s.
"Help me to help my neighbor.
Help me to understand.
Help me to hear the pleading
Of an outstretched empty hand.
Help me to understand.
Help me to hear the pleading
Of an outstretched empty hand.
Help me to do to others
As I'd have them do to me.
Help me to help my neighbor
Whatever his fate may be.
As I'd have them do to me.
Help me to help my neighbor
Whatever his fate may be.
Help me to see a heavy heart
Behind a smiling face.
Help me to judge as I'd be judged
If I were in his place.
Behind a smiling face.
Help me to judge as I'd be judged
If I were in his place.
The night is dark
And the way is long
On a road that has no end.
And the way is long
On a road that has no end.
Help me to help my neighbor.
Help me to be his friend."
Help me to be his friend."
Comments
Post a Comment