The Women in My Life

The world of social media is ablaze this morning with celebrations of International Women's Day. I think the  famed pianist and vocalist Harry Connick, Jr., said it best when he remarked that everyday is Women's Day for him. As I share these thoughts with you, I want you to think about those special women that have been in your life. What is the impact that they have made upon you?

I'm reminded of a number of special women that have made a difference in my life over the past 30 years. It goes without saying that my Mom has played some of the most important roles in my life - caregiver, friend, listener, and supporter. There have been a number of times when there seemed to be no one else by my side, but Mom was always there. Sometimes simply being there for someone can make the greatest difference in the world. By the way, this influential woman has a birthday coming up on March 19!

There are other influential women that I think of on days like today.

There was Mrs. Roberta Wagner, my kindergarten teacher at Piedmont Christian School. While she was the most stern teacher on campus, she was also one who had our best interests at heart. I can remember visiting with her and her husband, Mr. Roby Wagner, after my kindergarten days. They loved children so much and were so proud to see us succeed.

I also think about Mrs. Marsha Ann Worsham, my second piano teacher. She had a tough job on her hands - getting me to focus on my music! Yet, she was one of those people who helped me to discover my love for good music. It was Mrs. Worsham that encouraged me to use my God-given musical talents to bless others. My only regret is that I didn't study with her longer. Then again, things in life do happen for a reason. I was honored when she attended one of my early "jazz" concerts back in 2012.

In more recent years, I'm reminded of people like the Rev. Lisa Dibble. I first met her and her husband Dan at Lynchburg Music Center in 2006. We've been dear friends ever since. Lisa encouraged me to think critically. From our many conversations, I learned that it's not enough to simply accept something at face value; one must ask questions to find out the "why" behind the "what." By asking questions, I have learned so very much in this life. I feel that is one of the greatest ways that I have grown in my personal journey.

While there are many others, I want to include just one more special person in this post. We never know what life may throw at us, and frankly, we may not know how to handle all that life gives us. I feel that the most important thing that we can do in times of trouble is to hold to God's unchanging hand. Through of the worst of life's storms, it is He who sees us through to the other side. One lady who exemplifies that quality of resilience during the storm is my dear friend and radio colleague, Wanda Taylor. Her example has inspired many to keep standing strong in the midst of adversity. She has seen so many storms in her life, and yet she continues to trust that God will direct each of her steps. She has shown me that even when we are at our worst, God still has our best in mind. In Him, our weakness is made strong. Wanda has allowed me to better understand that life is too short to complain about the things that we don't have. Her life's example has allowed me to better appreciate the things that I do have.

Who are those special women who have impacted your life for the better? If you can, reach out to them and express your appreciation to them. Let them know the difference that they've made in your life.
Our K-5 Class Picture with Mrs. Roberta Wagner. 1994.

With Joy FM's Wanda Taylor. 2017.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Your Eyes on the Road

Sing Me a Song

Then Sings My Soul