The Key of A-Flat

Yesterday, I was at The Culpeper for my regular performance at the piano. I suppose I've been playing there for almost two years now. It was during my first performance that I saw an old Hammond organ sitting to the side. Toward the end of the show, I couldn't resist any longer. I just had to play that organ. Yesterday, I took time to perform a few unplanned numbers at the Hammond once again. It was a reunion that had been long coming. 

You see, I've played the organ longer than I've played the piano - only by a year or so. So, what's so important about the organ to me? I'm glad you asked.
When I was a kid, my Granddad Seay played the organ for our small church, Edgewood Christian, at Lake Anna. He played totally by ear, and every single song was in the same key of A Flat. Whether it was "Near the Cross" (original key of F) or "Just As I Am" (original key of D Flat), every song sounded almost the same; yet, those sound vibrations hit my ear at a very early age and stuck. In fact, when I was learning piano, I was thrilled one day when I figured out how to play in A Flat (four flats). Now I could play like Granddad Seay. 
The organ has special significance in my life. Sadly, that instrument is looked down by so many as being something from the past. Some even go as far to say that the organ is best used for funerals. I beg to differ! For me, the organ is an instrument which can produce dozens of different sounds - one for each mood or style. It is truly an instrument filled with beauty and poetry.
We all have our different entry points for our loves in life - our career, our hobbies, and so on. I'm lucky that my career and passion intersects with music. Yet, the very first time I remember hearing music was from that Wurlitzer console organ at Edgewood... and yes, it was in the key of A Flat.
So, you see, every time that I hear music in the key of A Flat, I'm almost always reminded of those memories of Granddad playing the organ in church. Every now and then, I'll still include his stylings at St. John's. He's been gone for almost 17 years now, but I still think of him often. 
Tonight, I'm thankful for the influence of my Granddad Seay. It was his musical example that officially got me started in music. For that, I can't say thank you enough.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Your Eyes on the Road

Sing Me a Song

Then Sings My Soul