The End of an Era

This portion of our broadcast is being brought to you by Powdermilk Biscuits. “Powdermilk biscuits: Heavens, they're tasty and expeditious! They're made from whole wheat, to give shy persons the strength to get up and do what needs to be done."
It's amazing how people, that you may not even know, can have a profound impact upon your life.

As I was driving home from Pennsylvania tonight, I listened to Garrison Keillor on A Prairie Home Companion. APHC has always kept me company during the long drives on I-81. I quickly realized that it was Mr. Keillor's last show as host from the Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul (he officially retires at the end of this season).
Listening to the show, I was reminded of how Mr. Keillor's stage presence has influenced how I connect with my own audience. His delivery is not over the top. In fact, it's easy to listen to, and he makes you feel as though you're his neighbor. It's that connection that makes his radio program unique unto itself.
I can remember serving as master of ceremonies for three (count 'em, three) Gospel Sings in Augusta County last year. Each of them involved several local groups with their own distinct performing style. What you see most of the time is this. The M.C. simply says a few words about the soloist/group, and then lets them perform. 
I took a page out of Garrison Keillor's playbook when I was on stage. I had a conversation with the people - whether they were singers or special guests. It not only made them feel more at ease, but it allowed them to make a unique connection with the audience. Although... some of the guests did not follow my trail of humor. That's another story. My point is that Mr. Keillor's example on APHC has helped me to improve my presence on the stage. What I have learned from him is not something that can be taught. You learn it from experience.
So... another book in the library of history is about to come to an end as Garrison Keillor retires and allows a new host to take his place on A Prairie Home Companion. He will join a rank of legendary broadcasters that I have heard over the years... Paul Harvey being at the top. 
I'd love to hear your thoughts. Who is it that has inspired you in your life? Why are they so special to you? If you haven't done so... be sure and thank them for the impact they have made in your life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Your Eyes on the Road

Sing Me a Song

Then Sings My Soul